Design parameters for a successful solution:
- Be serious, but inviting: The standards were high, you had to work to get in, but people were made to feel welcome.
- Look for balance: gender-balance, skill-balance, a wide range of skills and a wide range of team sizes.
- Optimize for building together: “Let’s build things together” rather than “Let me prove to you how smart I am.”
- Optimize for data gathering: Gather a ton of data to make it easier to evaluate things.
- Conduct your experiment publicly: Create your own accountability by being vocal about what you’re doing.